a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Ballinadee Parish and Townlands ballinadee google map
Baile Na Daibhche – Vat shapped place. This parish seems to have been an extension of the parish of Templemichael. It is written ‘the church of Dowach’ in taxation lists of 1291 and ‘Doiwagh alias Ballinady’ in state papers of 1588. It is written Ballinadeghy in Petty’s map.
Tullyland (855 acres) TRulach an Oileain – Mound of the island. At the east side is Parkaghadallaun – Pairc Ath an Dallain (ford field of the standing stone) in which is a stone circle. Further east are two square forts. At the north west is Brookfield, the residence of the Baldwins. These were of the same family as the Baldwins of Mount Pleasant. IN the vicinity ins Ballymough Bridge – Beal Ath nDabhach (ford mouth of the pools or hollows). Locally it is termed Baldwin’s Bridge. It is written Tullehane in the 1659 census
Knocknacurra (421 acres) Cnoc na Corra – Hill of the peak
Ratharoon East (809 acres) Rath Eireamhoin – Irwins Fort. This is a rate west cork surname. At the south side is a ring fort while at the est is Tobernasool. Tobar na Sul (well of the eyes) at which cures were claimed.
Ratharoon West (383 acres)
Rathdrought (1242 acres) Rath Druinne – Fort of the ridge or hump. In 1302 mention is made of the Chapel of Rathdringa. In the centre is the site of an old church with graveyard. The church was later used for protestant worship and was finally closed in 1700. At the north side is a well called Tobereenedenaght – Tobairin a’Dinigh (little well of the medicinal draught) and locally termed the surfeit well. A number of ring forts are in the townland.
Cloghane (489 acres) Clochan – Heap of stones, remains of old fort. A large ring fort is at the weets side w hile Cloghane Lake is at the south.
Kildarra (464 acres) Cill Dara – Church of the oak. In the centre are traces of a very old church and a disused burial ground.
Rockhouse (83 acres) Carraig an Easa – Rock of the waterfall. At the north east is the site of Rock Castle of the McCarthy Reaghs. It was burned by Captain Flower in 1600 following a skirmish with Florence McCarthy’s forces.
Kilmacsimon (219 acres) Coill Mhic Shiomoin – Mac Simon’s wood. Here is Kilmacsimon Quay, once a busy port and now disused.
Knocknagappul (509 acres) Cnoc na gCapall – Hill of the horses. The present local name is Horsehill. At the south east is the site of Short Castle.
Ballinadee (327 acres) Baile na Daibhche – Vat shaped place. It might read Beal Ath na Daibhche – Ford mouth of the hollow. At the south side is the village of Ballinadee which in the early 1830s is said to have contained over sixty houses. Here are disused corn mills and disused slate quarries. Peafield at the north east was a townland according to the 1659 census. It was written Coolelnapishy – Cuilin na Pise (little corner of the peas).
Cloncouse (242 acres) Cluain Cabhais – Dell of the causeway.
Ballyvolane (334 acres) Baile Ui Mhaolain – Mullins homestead. It might read Baile an Mhullain – Place of the hillock. At the west side is a disused slate quarry. It is written Ballinvallane in the 1659 census.
Killaneetig (343 acres) Coill an Fhaoitigh – White’s wood. At the east side was a little church or mass house. At the south side is Crushnalanniv – Crois na Leanbh (children’s cross roads burial ground)
Kilgobbin (1266 acres) Cill Ghobain. St Goban’s church. St Goban of Kinsale, a disciple of St Finbar, was the founder. An old graveyard at the south side marks the church site. At the east side are the ruins of a castle of McCarthy Reagh. It was originally built by Patrick de Courcey in the 13th century. Its walls were five feet thick. At the north east is B