a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Kilmoloda Parish and Townlands kilmoloda google map
– Cill Mo Luada – Church of St. Luada
Tullig (136 acres) Tulaigh – Hill or mound. At the west side is Crusheennalanniv – Croisin na Leanbh (little cross roads of the children), burial place of unbaptized children. At the north side is a small ring fort.
Dromgarriff (335 acres) Drom Garbh – Rough ridge
Ahalisky (887 acres) Ath Chaol Uisce – Ford of shallow water. It might read Achadh Loiscthe – Burnt field, burning of the scraw. Here are a number of ring forts. Remains of a horizontal corn mill were discovered in 1858. Ogham stones have been discovered. It is written Aghalusky in Pettys Map.
Carrig (577 acres) Carraig – Rock. At the south side is Gortnakilly Fort – Gort na Coille (field of the wood). Here also are the remains of the Carrig corn mills. It is written Carrigcinowy – Carraig Ceann a’Mhuighe (rock at the head of the plain) in Pettys map
Reengarrigeen (561 acres) Reidh Gairgin – Moorland of the crowfoot or perhaps of the little cormorant. At the west side is Beaumont of the Beamish family from which name probably comes the title of their Cork City residence, Beaumont House in Ballintemple. The Beamishes were Cromwellian settlers and were granted Kilmoloda parish in which they had four mansions. It is written Ringarrogan in Pettys map. Local pronunciation is reacarrigeen.
Maulrour (339 acres) Meall Reamhar – Thick, round hill. At the west side is Tobereennaboolyboy – Tobairin na Buaile Buidhe (little well of the yellow or sunny cattle enclosure). At the south side is Clashatober – Clais a’Tobair (vale of the well).
Monteen (593 acres) Mointin – Small stretch of moorland or bog. The townland is bounded on the south by the Owenkeagh River – Abhainn Caoch (blind river) and rises sharply towards the north. At the south side are the ruins of Monteen Castle of the McCarthy Rabachs, a branch of the McCarthy Reaghs. It was built about 1446 and was burned by the English in 1600. It finally passed to the Coppingers about 1614. At the east is Mullaghseefinn – Mullach Suidhe Finn (height of Fionn’s seat) suggested to have been the Beann Finn which marked the eastern boundary of Corca Laidhe. It is written Tuoghmountane in the Books of Survey and Distribution.
Farran (505 acres) – Fearann – Land or farm. A ring fort is at the south side. It is written Farenbanagh in the 1659 census – Fearann Beannach (hilly land) and Farranabruna in Pettys map – Fearann mBrianach (land of O’Briens) suggesting, according to Father Holland (Diocese of Ross) a connection with Templebryan parish.
Skeaf (455 acres) Sceach – Whitethorn, place of whitethorn. At the west side is Skeaf Wood at the south of which is Portduff Lough – Port Duby (black bank). Nearby is Portnavillihane Lough – Port a’Mhileachain (bank of the low lying land)
Skeaf East (373 acres)
Skeaf West (480 acres)
Clogagh North (172 acres) Clogach – Round or bell shaped hill, hilly spot. At north side is Clogagh village near which is a cromlech.
Clogagh South (283 acres) At the south side is a graveyard in which are ruins of an old church near which is believed to have stood a round tower. The place is estimated to have been the seat of a Franciscan monastery.
Burrane (409 acres) Borran – Swelling in land, low hill. At the east side are ruins of a McCarthy Reagh castle. It was at one time the residence of Dermod Maol McCarthy, brother of Florence who was imprisoned in the Tower of London by Carew. Dermod Maol guided O’Donnell south in preparation for the Battle of Kinsale and probably guided him to Castlehaven on his last mission in Spain. He was slain – and by relatives of his own – near Ballineen in 1602 and is buried in Timoleague Abbey. At the north side is Crosreagh – Cros Riabhach – grey cross roads.
Kilmoloda (636 acres) Cill Mo luada – Church of St Luada. A protestant church was built on the site of the old parish church in 1799. The present church was erected in 1858. At the east side is Kilmoloda Wood. In the townland is Kilmoloda Demesne of the Beamishes.