a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Knockavilla Parish and Townlands Knockavilla google map
– Cnoc a’Bhile – Hill of the sacred tree. Tress in ancient Ireland were a common feature in connection with ceremonies. They have been associated with ecclesiastical sites, places of inauguration, saints, holy wells etc. The term used in dealing with this type of tree is Bile.
Tuocusheen (279 acres) Tuath an Chabhainin – District of the little causeway or stepping stones. This was on the BRinny river at the east side. Close by is the site of a castle. At the west side is a small ring fort.
Knockaphreaghane (374 acres) Cnoc a’Phreachain – Hill of the crows. Crow Hill is the name used locally.
Russell Hill (656 acres) Cnoc a’Ruisealaigh – Russell hill. Russells were followers of the Earl of Desmond. IN 1572 James Russell had charge of Carrigrohane Castle for the Earl. At Old Chapel Cross roads on the southern boundary is the site of an old straw roofed church.
Garryhankard (327 acres) Garrdha Thankard – Tankards garden or enclosure. It is named after a Cork merchant family of Norman extraction who had lands oin lease here from the Barry Oges in the 16th century. Here is Upton House, the up town house of the Barry Oges from their head residence at Downdaniel Castle.
Lissanisky (486 acres) Lios an Uisce – Water fort, water protected. The fine ring fort from which the townland derives its name is at the south side. Nearby are Sundays Well and Ladys Well.
Raheen (372 acres) Raithin – Place of the little fort. A number of small ring forts were in the townland all of which are now levelled. At the east side is Crosspound, probably the site of a pound.
Ballymountain (432 acres) Baile Mointeain – Place of bogland, reclaimed moore.
Ballincourneenig (384 acres) Baile an Chuirninigh – Courtney’s settlement.
Belrose (453 acres) Biolarach – Place abounding in watercress. It is written Bulleragh in the civil survey of Muskerry.
Kill (226 acres) Cill – Church or graveyard. An earlier spelling is Kilwylie – Cill a’Bhile (church of the sacred tree). Here are the ruins of the old parish church and graveyard. Here is buried Father Patrick Murphy, parish priest of Moragh and Templemartin who died in 1845. Rounds have been performed at his graveside. Here also is buried Canon James Magner, parish priest of Dunmanway, who was shot by Crown Forces in 1920. At the south side of the townland are the remains of a protestant church which was demolished after 1871 and the stones of which were used to improve the remodelled surrounds of Brinny Church. The names, Church Field and Church Lane, are reminders, while on a small stream at the north side of Church Field is Aithin an ‘Teamuill – Little ford of the church, on a pathway leading thereto. At the west side is a ring fort.
Garranewaterig (483 acres) Garran Uachtaraigh – Grove of the upper or higher place
Ballymurphy North (552 acres) Baile Ui Mhurchadha – Murphys homestead. At the south side is Fort William while in the centre is a second ring fort as well as Crushnalanniv – Crois na Leanbh (childrens burial crossroads). Art O’Leary’s father lived here and from his farm he was evicted. He is buried in Kilcrea Abbey
Ballymurphy South (488 acres). In a spelling of 1301 it is termed an Cheathramha Liath – The grey quarter.
Lissagroom (301 acres) Lios Dha Dhrom – Fort of the two ridges. Here was fought the Battle of Crossbarry in 1921 and here stands the memorial
Ballyhandle (391 acres) Baile Shandair – Saunder’s habitation. Tullamohilly – Tulach Mothallaighe (mound of the rough shaggy place) was the old name of the townland or of a part. Ballyhandle Castle of the Barry Oges was at the south side. Only the site remains. Two ring forts are in the townland. A stone quary is at the east side. It is written Tullymoghillie in an Inquisition of 1639. It is written Ballyhander in the 1659 census.