a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Rathclaren Parish and townlands Rathclaren google map
Rath Clairin – Clairin’s Rath. There is a suggestion that this might have been the residence of Clairineach, great grandson of Laoghaire in the 7th century.
Clooncalla More (547 acres) Chuain Calaidh – Plain of the riverside or ferry. The surrounding country is generally termed Maryborough from Maryborough House in this townland.
Clooncalla Beg (232 acres)
Ballycatteen (336 acres) Baile Caitin – Place of osier blossoms. Osiers were used in basket making.
Cloonderreen (293 acres) Cluain a’Doirin – Plain of the little oakwood. At the ast side are the remains of an old church, thought to be Franciscan with graveyard.
Garradruig (857 acres) Garran na Druinne – Grove of the ridge or hump. At the aeast side is a ring fort. It is written Garanedringe in the 1659 census.
Barleyfield (796 acres) Gort na hEorna – Field of the barley. Gornahorna Demesne of the Sealys with the ruins of Gornahorna House is at the east side. Here also is Gornahorna Wood. On the east border is a disused corn mill as well as Barleyffield Bridge. At the south side is Baker’s Well. It is written Gornahorna in the 1659 census.
Ardacrow (523 acres) Ard a’Chro – Height of the hut or enclosure. It might read height of the blood or gore, possibly site of a battle or skirmish.
Burren (654 acres) Boireann – Rocky or stoney district. At the east side is tobernasool – Tobar na Sul (well of the eyes) with cures, it is claimed, for eye defects. This townland was originally a parish
Lisheenaleen (205 acres) Lisin a’Lin – Little fort of the flax. Flaxfort is the present local name. Flax was probably spread out to dry after steeping. At the west side is Balyhinaragh Bridge – beal Ath an Ghearrtha (ford mouth of the ravine or cutting).
Farrannagark (297 acres) Fearann na gCeare – Land of the hens or grouse. Te present protestant church is built on the site of the old parish church of Rathclarin – Nearby is Tobernmatrinoda – Tobar na Trionoide (Trinity well)
Garranefeen (512 acres) Garran Fionn – Pleasant Grove. Three ring forts are in the townland. At the west side is Toberalaher – Tober a’Leathair (leather well) where leather was steeped. South side is termed Harbour View.
Glanduff (459 acres) Gtleann Dubh – Dark Glen. At the north side are Kilbrittain village and Glanduff Wood. At the east was a corn mill while at the west is Barnyareigh Crossroads – Bearna hEirghe (gap in the rising ground). It is written Cloneduff in Pettys map.
Shanakill (182 acres) Seana Chill – Old Church or burial ground. Although a tradition exists of a graveyard, no trace remains.