a guide to
tracing your ancestors in bandon, cork. ireland
|home | bhj | griffiths | churches | townlands | maps | directories | census | parish records | links | family trees|
Moneen (102 acres) – Moinin – Little bog or swamp. At East side was a disused burial ground. It is now obliterated.
Kilnagnady (714 acres) – Cill lognaide – Church of St Ignatius. At the east side is site of an old church dedicated to St Ignatius.
Knockskagh – Cnoc Sceach (briars hill) - In the centre is a fine gallow standing 10ft high. At the North side is a ring fort. At the North West is Gelagh crossroads – Domhnall Gaolach’s Cross
Castlenalact (454 acres) – Caislean na Leacht – Castle of the Memorial Stones. At the west side is a fine lake of 23 acres as well as a ring fort. At the South side are disused corn mills with a mill race
Finnis (644 acres) – Foidh Inis – Wooded Island. At the East side is Ballymahane Bridge – Beal Ath Meathan (ford month of the saplings). It is written Island Fenagh in the 1659 census
Kilmore (693 acres). Cill Mhor – Big Church. At the North side is the site of an old church and graveyard in what is known locally as the ‘graveyard field’. At the extreme south is a rectangular fort and at the west side is a ring fort called Lios na n’Arraing – Fort of the darts or sharp pains. At the east side are traces of Ballinacurra corn mills. Here also is Ballinacurra Bridge – Beal Ath na Coradh (ford month of the weir). Major Daniel O’Mahony, famous defender of Cremona in 1702 is supposed to have lived in Kilmore House.
Brinny (441 acres). Boirne – Stones or rocky land. Brinny Church was built in 1737. It was enlarged in 1813 and remodelled in 1883. The old parish church was probably where the present protestant church stands. At the south side are ruins of Brinny Corn mills. Here lived Sean Dearg Nash who was several times between 1690 and his death in 1725 provost of Bandon
Clashanimud (4442 acres) – Clais an Adhmaid – Vale of the timber. At the North side of Cashel Hill on which is a great annular earth work enclosing many acres, one of the most notable hill top structures in Ireland. It is 750 yards in circumference.
Rockfort (310 acres) – Garran Ui Luanaigh – Looneys grove. The townland derives its present name from Rockfort House at the west side. Here are traces of a ring fort – Rock Fort. At the west side was a corn mill. At the North west is Dardan Bridge – Dair Doimhin (9 deep oak grove). It is written Grane Looney in the 1659 census.
Kilpatrick (118 acres) – Cill Padraig – St Patricks Church, church dedicated to St Patrick. The site is pointed out. At the north west is Kilpatrick village and along the eastern border is Muhagh Wood – Mothach (Fertile of fruitful).
The southern end is termed Woodlands – Fearann na Coille from the Big House built at the beginning of the 19th century by the Cornwalls, brewers of Bandon and later purchased by the Allmans who took over the Cornwalls brewery.
Another part is termed Brothersfort which is a corruption of Bruadars Fort – Lios Bruadair, traces of which fort are still to be seen on the eastern boundary.
At the west side is Kilpatrick House which was formerly known as Brothersfort House.
At the south side is a tunnel on the Cork Bandon Railway constructed in 1847, the first in Ireland.
At the north side is Lahaghdaniel – Lathach Dhomhnaill (Daniel’s Morass) while a subdivision at the north side is called Cul na Foghla – Hill back of the plundering.
Through the west side runs Keamagaragh – Ceim a Ghearrtha (pass of the cutting). In the centre is Pookeen Lane – Puicin (seculuded place). It is written Lissabroder in Pettys map.